Friday, May 23, 2014

The TRUTH about summer vacation ....

It is around this time of year that I start hearing things like "Oh I wish I got a summer break" "I bet you love that, lounging around all summer" As many of you know I am a speech pathologist in my local school district. I work a 187 day/year contract. I remember what I thought teachers do all summer long and those thoughts have not changed much over the years. Most people think educators spend all summer with their feet up and not a care in the world ... what you are about to read is what MOST educators I know do all summer long.

1. We worry about the kids who were in our class this year. you know little Johnny whose dad just lost his job and the family was already having a difficult time making it. or little Susie who mother's parental choice leave much to be desired and often put little Susie in situations no girl her age should be in.

2. We work out plans for next school year like room designs, themes, furniture arrangements, centers and color schemes

3.We spend a small amount of time getting our homes back in order after neglecting them due to the mountains of work we brought home the last nine weeks of school i.e. lesson plans, papers to grade etc...

4. Try to make up for the times we had to put off doing something with out children because we needed to spend extra time in the classroom preparing for our students.

5. We attend professional development days to deep our certifications current and avoid being ou of the classroom during instructional time.

6. We work on lesson plans - it helps to start the year with a few complete.

7. Some educators are involved in curriculum writing and reviewing

8 Many go to team/grade level meetings

9. We are busy overseeing our children's summer learning activities/assignments

10.  Anything we can do to make next school year better than the previous one!

So while you may read on facebook that we spent the day at the pool you can rest assured I usually have my "teacher bag" with me. MOST teacher's are extremely dedicated individuals who got into this profession because we love to be a part of helping children to grow and reach their full potential. We work many hours that are labeled "vacation" and not included in our contract. It's definitely summer ... Vacation? well we won't exactly call it that!


No comments:

Post a Comment